The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small."
- Mother Teresa
BEBO's Village of Mothers is a free service to families with newborns, through which trained volunteers are matched with families needing an extra pair of hands during their baby's early months. Both English and Spanish speaking volunteers are available.
"We made a new friend, and the girls were surrounded early on in life by someone else who was so happy to be around them. Our volunteer was like a grandmother coming to visit."
- DB, Mamaroneck
Volunteers are matched with families for 3 months and are asked to:
- Undergo a criminal background check,
- Participate in a 4 hour orientation,
- Provide their own transportation,
- Schedule 32 hours of service over a 3 month period,
- Attend volunteer meetings and read email notices,
- Stay in contact through email and phone calls with the program director,
- and most importantly, have the ability to listen, be non-judgmental, not have a personal agenda (as in "babies should be raised THIS way!") and have the ability to "hold space" for a mother.
Do you need a Village of Mothers Volunteer?
We will match you with one of our skilled volunteers who will serve your family's needs. You may need help with simple things such as household tasks, reading a story to a sibling, or simply caring for your baby so YOU can shower and rest! Your volunteer can also address parenting concerns and connect you to other services, as needed.
Are you interested in becoming a Village of Mothers Volunteer?
Let's discuss what would make a good match for you. For instance, some volunteers only want "baby contact"; others enjoy helping with whatever the family needs - accompanying a mother to a doctor's visit, caring for the infant and/or siblings while the mom gets respite, folding laundry or preparing a meal. (Village of Mothers is not a babysitting or maid service and this is made clear to the families.)